Wednesday, June 13, 2007

FREE | Permalink

This huge sculpture suppose to be rubber stamp of "Free". Not much information I got around this huge sculpture. From net I got information about Free rubber stamp. The sculpture created by Claes Oldenburg with size 28' and 48' (8.5 m x 14.6 m). It was commissioned by Amaco Oil Company in 1985 that was intended to be displayed in Amaco's lobby but end-up in storage in Indiana for 7 years. And in 1991 was donated to city of Cleveland. This sculpture on Lakeside Ave and East 9 St.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bob Crowe said...

Oldenburg is an American treasure. He ha no respect for the art establishment, yet it honors him. How many art museums have an Oldenburg on the grounds? Cate from Kansas City recently posted a picture of the giant badminton shuttlecock in front of the Nelson-Atkins. We have a much more subdued electric cube tap in front to the St. Louis Art Museum (which has a great web domain name: slam.org). I suppose I should go photograph it soon.

BTW, this is a really good shot. You really got the heft of it. And all for free.

I'd like to see photos from other cities with Oldenburg outdoor sculpture.

Bob

St. Louis Missouri Daily Photo Blog

June 13, 2007 at 7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the creativity of this!

June 13, 2007 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger lv2scpbk said...

I had to look since I'm into scrapbooking and cardmaking. I noticed the rubber stamp on the portal. That stamp is huge.

June 14, 2007 at 6:52 AM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

It sat in storage? well i'm glad it is out! this is a great shot.

June 14, 2007 at 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home